Live cell heat shock on microscope

Hi,
I’m looking for suggestions on how to induce heat shock in live cells/yeast on a microscope. What device do you use to meet the fast temperature change in order to induce heat shock? I found the VAHEAT system from BostonElectronics. Has anyone used it?

Thank you!:grin:

You could use the Cherry-Temp - allows for rather quick temperature ramping. We use one of those.
NO COMMERCIAL INTEREST

Best
Josef

Thank you Josef. I asked for the price, it’s too expensive… Seems like not many people do heat shock on a microscope…

To induce a heat shock, I place the sample in a plate incubator for 5 mins and transfer the sample to the microscope with an on-stage incubator maintained at the temperature of interest.
http://www.oko-lab.com/live-cell-imaging/stage-top-digital-gas/28-configrator-article/196-top-satge-incubator-3

Thank you vrkrishn! What objective do you use? Our user needs the 100x for yeast. I’m not sure how the higher temperature affects the objective.

we use Olympus TIRF UApo N100X N.A. = 1.49 oil immersion objective,

you can rotate the dial and use the for higher temperature it works fine at least upto 42 C.

That’s good to know. I’m always a little worried about objective performance and lifetime under higher temperature, but there doesn’t seem to have any ways to avoid it.

My understanding is that repeated changes in temperature are more detrimental than simply heating a lens to something like 37. We tend to keep lenses on “live cell” rigs permanently heated to avoid unnecessary temperature cycles.

(Though if you’re pushing it much higher than 37, I would definitely check with the manufacturer)

Thanks Telly! We will probably just purchase another objective just for the heatshock users.

Hi, did you try the VAHEAT device in the end? Because I think it is a good fit for your application. You can program also all sorts of complex heat shock patterns with it. Just a clarification, this device is a product of Interherence a German startup, Boston Electronics is the US distributor. Check out the new development around VAHEAT device here: VAHEAT - Micro heating system

Thanks to the design of the device, there is little heat exchange to the objective. You heat up just a small volume of the sample in your field of view. We measured the PSF of a 100x immersion objective and the PSF stayed the same up until 80°C.

Full disclosure, I have just started working for Interherence now. I encourage you to judge it for yourself on the web or request an on site demo through the company website or Boston Electronics. Among the 50 or so devices we sold since last year, there is also a customer working with yeast.

Hi Jaroslav,

Yes, we did buy it. It is user friendly to both mammalian cells and yeast. Looking forward to receiving and testing it!
No commercial Interest

Great, I would be very interested in your feedback about the performance in heat shocks. This is one of the applications the device was specifically designed for. Also, if you need anything related to vaheat, just contact me at: jaroslav@interherence.com

HI Chaowei,
I can recommend our device CellEraser - it can heat cells to any desired temperature for any needed time. The heating is local i.e. heated spot might be 500-1000 mkm in diameter and other cells around will not be heated (serve as a control). The heating is internal via millimeter wave radiation (plastic, glass and other materials are not heated ). Temperature calibration is precise (via small thermocouple or melting of film of long-chain alcohols with known Tm).
See our website: www.celleraser.com
Sincerely,
Andy