Female bayonet mount similar to the one of Nikon Eclipse upright microscopes

Dear all,
I am looking for the female part of bayonet mount that would host an illumination system normally mounted into a Nikon Eclipse upright microscope (i.e., the male part is similar to Thorlabs piece SM1A26, Adapters for Upright Nikon Eclipse Microscopes). I haven’t been able to find such a mount anywhere; does anyone have a reference to suggest?
Thanks in advance,
Antony

The female portion is an integrated part of the epi-fluorescence light train on the Eclipse - and this is true of most other microscopes. You’ll not likely be able to find a part like this piecemeal.

Maybe if you can provide some additional information about what you’re trying to do then someone could be of further assistance.

Good luck!

1 Like

My microscope setup has both a Nikon Intensilight illuminator, and a HiLo system (Sparq - BLIQ PHOTONICS) which connects to the same port (i.e. both have a male bayonet mount). Currently I have to unplug one and replug the other in to switch between them, but I was hoping to build something to combine both illumination systems. Any other suggestions on how to achieve this would be most welcome as well. Thanks!

There is something called TE-AT for the epi illuminator on the FN1. It splits the port in two with a mirror the user flips back and forth.

But I don’t know how much Nikon will charge. It will change the length, but will work with your Nikon illuminator. But I don’t know enough about the other device you mentioned or if there are collimating lenses, etc (check with them first). If you have lots of Thorlabs parts or kits, it might be better/cheaper to ask have they or can they make as a custom adapter with threads and the mount you can use. It seems like something that some other people might need even though its not common.

I might also point out that before Bell&Howell created the C-mount…there was A and B mount. Gradually mounts got more complicated. If you think that trying to determine a particular mount is difficult based on Thorlabs own nomenclature, try finding the mechanical dimensions by searching the Japanese patent database (as opposed to measuring with a caliper). :joy: In a similar fashion Thorlabs used to make Acerra, then Bergamo, then Cerna. So the A-scope made use of many parts from the FN1. The Cerna originally used many Nikon parts, which were gradually phased out for functionally similar parts (epi lightpath). But because the parts are not easily found on the website, doesn’t mean they don’t exist. You would have to know the specific Thorlabs part number to search for discontinued parts. That would require having an old catalog or “mind map” laying around the lab or talking in detail with someone from a specific department at TechSupport.

This is another view of Nikon TE-AT I found.
s-l640

@jasonkirk is right about being piecemeal. It might be possible to get a similar flange from somewhere (either a second hand part or from some other generic parts manufacturer), but it will still require having the ability to machine all the other parts to finish the assembly.

Good luck! It might be useful to post pictures of the parts and specific setup you have. I would be interested in the collimation (not on the link or in their reference papers they provided). Our university, the Nikon Imaging Center in the Systems Biology Lab has a whole collection of Nikon microscopes (besides a plaque and a discount) and 3rd party accessories (can post photos to share or compare).

ASI has some stock of these parts which we haven’t actively sold for years. The outer ring is sourced from Nikon I think and the inner metal part is machined metal (so we could make more). A quick glance in cabinets shows 17 of the outer rings and one of the inner metal parts, and I could have easily missed something.

Ben is ASI’s expert for this sort of thing: +1-541-461-8181 x108.

1 Like

Thanks for all the references! I should be able to get something out of them.

1 Like