Blurring of light sheet

Dear experts, I am a student from China. Recently, when I used the light sheet7 (Zeiss) light microscope to image the pancreatic islets, there was blurring. However, it was very clear during the two-dimensional scanning. Moreover, when I used imaris to reconstruct the three-dimensional image, a strange image appeared. How can I set the shooting parameters to make the imaging clearer? What other commonly used analysis software can be used in the later 3D image processing besides imaris software?

I would recommend talking to the Zeiss rep, but it is difficult to know what might be happening without some understanding of what the blurring looks like, what kind of 2 dimensional scanning was done (different instrument? preview mode on the lightsheet?), what the sample/sample holder is, and what “strange image” means more exactly.

2 Likes

If the blurring is due to convolution with a point spread function it can be partially corrected with deconvolution. There is a commercial product called Huygen’s (I have no affiliation with the company) that can be used for deconvolution.

In addition Imaris has a plugin called Clear View which may also be used for deconvolution, though I am not sure which algorithm they implement.

There are also many open source plugins for ImageJ and for Python/Napari which will give just as good results, though can be harder to use. Many people have had success using the open source plugins by opening up a question on the sister ImageSC forum

Without seeing your images I can’t say for sure if Deconvolution will help. The key to deconvolution is to measure a high quality Point Spread Function, so most of the work will be in figuring out how to do that and may involve collecting bead images.

Brian

1 Like

When you say ‘reconstruct’ which algorithm from Imaris did you use? Was it the deconvolution plugin? Sometimes people simply use ‘reconstruct’ to mean taking 2D slices of data and generating a 3D rendering. However if you did apply Deconvolution or another algorithm first, you may have used an incorrect PSF or incorrect settings. People will need more details to offer useful advice.