The Friedrich Miescher Institute for Biomedical Research (FMI) is a world-class biomedical research institute with 340 members. It is affiliated with the University of Basel and the Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research. Our goal is to exploit new technologies to further our understanding of the basic molecular mechanisms that underlie health and disease. Several outstanding technology platforms support FMI scientists in their research discoveries, including the Facility for Advanced Imaging and Microscopy (https://www.fmi.ch/platforms/platform.html?plt=110), which has a full-time position available immediately for an experienced MICROSCOPY FACILITY SCIENTIST (Light Microscopy)
IN THIS POSITION YOU WILL:
- Assist users running experiments by assessing their projects, selecting the appropriate microscopy modality and instrument, and by giving introductions to systems.
- Assist users with the first steps of image processing and analysis, in close collaboration with the image processing specialists at the facility.
- Help with the maintenance of equipment by performing performance tests and organizing repairs.
- Manage facility consumables, chemical database and waste disposal according to HSE regulations.
- Help maintain the Facility website and wiki pages.
- Participate in weekly Facility group meetings and attend the annual FMI retreat.
- Implement new methods by attending one to two conferences or courses in relevant fields every year and keeping up with relevant literature.
FOR THIS POSITION YOUR QUALIFICATIONS ARE:
- A PhD in Biology or Physics.
- Experience with high-end light microscopy either as a post-doc or as a member of a microscopy facility.
The position is financed for three years with the option to become permanent.
If you would like to join a dynamic research institute, we look forward to receiving your application. Please submit your application and documents including three names for references at http://www.fmi.ch/opening. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and accepted until the position is filled.
For informal inquiries, please contact:
Friedrich Miescher Institute for Biomedical Research